June 17, 2010

Tomatos, Raspberries, and Squash...oh my!

On our daily trip to the garden today (and I use the word "garden" very loosely) Miriam and I discovered tomatoes!  I only have three plants, it's my first time growing them so I didn't want to get carried away this year.  I started three plants by seed this winter but lost two of them from a late frost.  So one of the plants is the Beefsteak tomato I started from seed and I have two store-bought Early Girl plants.  We also have an abundance of raspberries growing!  They are fall berries, so they aren't edible yet, but they are certainly getting big, we will be swimming in them this summer.  Like I said, it's not really a full out garden, just the plants I mentioned already and a few container-planted sweet peppers, two butternut squashes, and our experiment this year....watermelon. I also have a pot of strawberries but some annoying critter ate all but one of the berries.  I'm very thankful for the gigantic tree in our yard, which shades the entire yard at the warmest part of the day, but it does make it difficult to grow veggies. 
All of the rain has definitely given us some beautiful flowers this year though!  My buttercups are going on their 3rd week of blooming, and they don't typically bloom that long.  My hydrangeas are looking great, my tiger lillies are opening up, and everything else is  looking good too.  I suppose now would be a good place to insert some photos...but I am slacking.  Just imagine them in your head...they are pretty, aren't they?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment