March 21, 2011


We were SoOoOoO lucky to have nice warm weather all week, we made a lot of progress on our garden.  Here are some pictures of our deck boxes.  We have very limited sun in our back yard and our deck gets a good chunk of it.  We decided to stain these ones.  After a few "discussions" back and forth about the safety of using stain for vegetable boxes, we decided to stick with it, only the top inch of the insides are stained and the bottom of the lath strips are not stained.

After we finished those, we started working on the main boxes.  We decided to paint them white, hoping to extend the life of the wood, and to match the neighbor's garage.  They are not painted at all on the insides.

We've since filled them with soil/compost (look close and you can see the big pile of dirt!)  and will add the lath strips to the top as soon as I mix in peat moss and vermiculite.  Also, I've finished laying the brick around and have wood chips coming soon!  The area next to the garage that is not covered in weed cloth is where my raspberry bushes are, I just cut them down but they fill up that whole area.

And because I finally found the camera cord and have tons of pictures, here are my seedlings!  M and I transplanted them to cups this weekend and we were so happy that all but two of my seeds sprouted!

No comments:

Post a Comment